Sunday, January 23, 2011

Portobello Pizza

Okay I used this recipe, and from there tweaked it to my liking. http://friendseat.com/Raw-Portobello-Mushroom-Pizza-Recipe
My little brother, -who detests anything healthy- saw this, and seeing how it actually looked like pizza, decided to give it a try. Praise the heavens!, he utterly loved it. I gladly gave him the better portion of my hard earned dinner.
On another note, the Mushrooms can get a bit pricey.. so if you are not feeling the splurge, I would suggest a homemade flax crust instead...still ochen vkusna (that means 'very tasty' in russian!). Though not necessarily visually stunning like certain fruits, the humble mushroom deserves a big hug. Mushrooms are among the most medicinal of all foods; no matter what the disease, chances are that there is a mushroom that can help prevent or treat it.
Its a FUNGUS!?--crazily, its an organism that grows without seeds, leaves, flower or even roots. They are an excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins (a vegetarian must), calcium and minerals. About 50 of the species are poisenous.
Then there are the medicinal mushrooms, comprising another 50 species. These nutritional powerhouses have been found to:
*Protect heart health *Lower the risk of cancer *Boost immune function *Reduce high cholesterol *Fight off viruses, bacteria and fungi *Reduce inflamation *Combat allergies *Help balance blood sugar levels *Support the body's detoxification mechanisms *Help fight blood clots
Their nutritional prowess has been known for centuries. Ancient Egyptians and Asians used mushrooms to create a sacred longevity tonic, and the 5,000-year-old "Ice Man" found in Europe was found with dried mushrooms in his medicine kit.

2 comments:

  1. "the humble mushroom deserves a big hug."

    You are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really great thing that I loooooove mushrooms!! And also love your blog that I only recently self-discovered!! yay! I love it, and will now be an avid follower to help better myself and my unhealthy ways :)

    ReplyDelete